Friday, February 7, 2014

Young Adult Series I am reading

Something different this time - here is a list of the Young Adult Series that I have not yet finished, and what I think of them so far. Some of these I am reading aloud with my own young adult (tween) or simultaneous with my other young adult (teen). Either way, these books would qualify for the Young Adult reading challenge, and I will link back where possible.

The Tripods

This is a series I heard a lot about, and when I spotted the prequel on the Library "Staff Suggests" shelf, I knew it was time. I later learned there are spoilers for the later books, and it is best read after the other three. No worries. All books by John Christopher.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Wanted to read the book before the movie came out and never got back to the series. I also didn't see the second movie, as the first one didn't impress me that much. Percy is a complex character, ADHD and all, and I should really get back to this before they make any more movies. Rick Riordan continues to write for Young Adults and adults alike.
  • The Lightning Thief
  • The Sea of Monsters
  • The Titan's Curse
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth
  • The Last Olympian

Little Brother

I really enjoyed this novel of increased technology and decreased personal rights. In 2013, Cory Doctorow released a sequel and a short story. The books are:

Ranger's Apprentice

This series was recommended to me by a friend, who didn't note that there were already 9 or 10 books. The series has since grown to 12. I enjoyed the first book and plan to continue when time allows - perhaps when John Flanagan stops adding to it?
  • The Ruins of Gorlan
  • The Burning Bridge
  • The Icebound Land
  • The Battle for Skandia
  • The Sorcerer in the North
  • The Siege of Macindaw
  •  Erak's Ransom
  • The Kings of Clonmel
  • Halt's Peril
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja
  • The Lost Stories
  • The Royal Ranger

Redwall

It was with great interest that I picked up Redwall to read out loud. It was months after reading the Hobbit, and it started a bit slow, so we haven't been back. Also, Brian Jacques created a daunting amount of books, which can be read in publication or chronological order.

Inheritance Cycle

This was a series I dove into right away. I enjoyed the first book, perhaps rating it higher because of the indy credentials. I wasn't thrilled to hear of the trilogy being turned into a "cycle", and perhaps used a more critical eye on the later books. This series was at the edge of the bubble - do I finish it or abandon it? Christopher Paolini hasn't decided either.

There are other series I haven't finished - a reread of Arthur C Clarke's 2010 and sequels and also Rama II and sequels. Finishing up Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat and Isaac Asimov's Foundation is also in the plan. I first read a lot of these books as a young adult, and greatly enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment